Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Donut or Doughnut

I don’t want to sound cheap. I stumbled across this by accident - I really did. Krispy Kreme doughnuts are free.

A Tim Horton’s donut is the donut I have most often. It is not the donut of choice; it’s the donut of convenience, those stores having become so ubiquitous. Always while I’m often picking up coffee at the same time – coffee does not need donut, but a donut cannot be, without coffee. Tim Horton’s is the least desirable of all donuts. When they ceased in-store baking, when they went to a central bakery to supply all their franchises, they lost some of their freshness. A modern day Tim Horton’s donut is slightly hard, and noticeably smaller than those of many years ago. Country Style has lovely donuts, large and puffy with an extra softness that only freshness brings. The chocolate is more chocolaty; the cream more creamy.

Neither however compares to Krispy Kreme. Sadly, their appeal to the Canadian consciousness appears to be dimming. Many will say their doughnuts are gross and sinful. Unredeemable and appalling unhealthy - consuming a Krispy Kreme doughnut is an act of self-loathing.

I don’t care. It’s just so exciting to be alive.

But - moderation. . . .Who needs to buy a dozen donuts anymore? When I have a craving, I only want one. I can’t eat a dozen – I can’t have a dozen lying around. Every time I go into a Krispy Kreme store, I order one doughnut. I pay for one but they give me two because it is their policy is to give away a free doughnut to every customer. Sometimes they don’t even give me two – they just give me the one for free. I don’t know how many free doughnuts I’ve gotten in the past year. I’m badly spoiled – free original glazed doughnuts are now my entitlement.

------------------

I finally made time to go see Martin Scorcese’s new movie “The Aviator”. What a fantastic movie! Scott TECHRITER saw it weeks ago and he too admires it very much in spite of his disdain for Leonardo DiCaprio.

I understand, and I know he’s not alone. But I think DiCaprio is great – “What’s Eating Gilbert Grape?”, “A Boy’s Life”, “Basketball Diaries”, “Marvin’s Room”, “Gangs of New York” and now “The Aviator”, all shining examples of a true character actor. Undoubtedly, the bad rap comes from “Titanic” and how unfortunate it is that one bad moment can cloud a person’s life. But. . . but, I’ll come out and admit it - I liked “Titanic”. It’s grand; old-fashioned; a real story told with a comfortable sense of ease. Among men, I need to believe I’m not alone on this one, though I may be. But understand please that I wasn’t so affected; I didn’t react or weep uncontrollably like a hopeless woman. Nope, none of that senseless blubbering over here. Just ask my friend Macy DOGLUVER – she’ll tell you (if she remembers). That reminds me, it’s been a while since I’ve seen her; since I’ve been to Chez Macy’s. Must make a point of dropping by soon - to see her new pictures, to get a roll of film developed and to see little Nathan DOGLUVER.

--------------------

Technical update on previous blog: Happy news. My old friend Michelle HATHEAD (“Teaching and Tutoring Part I”) has changed her name to Michelle SOONDOCTR. Congratulations to her.

--------------------

So, gonzo journalist Hunter S. Thompson killed himself. Finally, thirty-five years later, the ‘60’s are dead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home