Thursday, January 13, 2005

Picking up "24"

Previously on Hmmmm??????: Slowpoke is desperately trying to get the VCR working so he can watch 24 and go out to play ball hockey too.

Last night I made a long trip deep into the city to see my friend Scott TECHRITER. Late Monday I called for a “favor” to which he readily agreed; both because he is the oldest and most trusted friend that I have, and because as a fellow watcher of 24, he lives under the same shadow of quiet desperation.

His house is a bungalow, a block apart from the Danforth. It’s an older, quaint little neighborhood, but the unassuming quiet belies nefarious, illicit activities seething within. He had the “tape”, the coveted tape. We completed our transaction quickly and wordlessly both of us careful to avoid eye contact. Shamed faced about my inabilities and feeble for soliciting help, I accept his charity. He did not ask why I do not know how to record with a VCR, nor did I offer a reply. He did not ask because there is a quiet unspoken understanding amongst men. There will come a time when he is also less than himself, and I will be there for him.


After that we talked about movies for a whole hour.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home